Tips to Protect Yourself
- Don't open emails from senders you don't know.
- Never access a web site from a link in an email, especially a web site that asks for personal information.
- If you have any doubts about the authenticity of an email, do not respond, call the sender or type in the web address.
- Beware of emails sent offering you a prize or a discount and then asking you to choose a user id and password (most people use the same access information for several accounts- easier to remember-thieves will collect your login information and try them at other sites, like financial institutions or credit card sites).
- Do monitor your account activity closely and watch for unusual activity - You can use Citizens Bank Online Banking to monitor account balances, 24/7.
- Change your password every 60 days.
- Note that fraudulent emails often include misspellings and poor grammar.
- Update your anti-virus software frequently. Common anti-virus software includes McAfee and Norton.
- Beware of emails with a sense of urgency; attempting to rush you into action. Messages like, "Update now or we'll close your account..."
- Do not include personal or sensitive data in or in response to an email.